So yesterday I was working on a bust of a friend of mine for my comps.  It was hollowed out (mostly) and that’s when things started to go really wrong.  I hadn’t even tried to put anything together when the shoulders split from the hair.  The hair couldn’t support the weight of itself and started to fall apart and crack and split and get super duper wonky.  It was so sad.  I was in Boliou so late last night trying to figure out what to do.  After a while I just decided to cut off the face, and start again coil build the whole piece (with the old face).   I figure that I’d rather have a piece that is 100% how I want it, and not just the best I can get it under the circumstances.  My first piece looked fine (said with some dissatisfaction), but also kind of wonky.  I didn’t want that again.

For the next one I think I am going to build the head solid, hollow it out, and then coil build the hair.

For posterity, here is a photo (the last photo I have, but not the finished state) of the bust pre-disaster:

R.I.P. Bust of Jinhee

Advertisements